Cooking Fires & Safety
According to the National Fire Protection Association, cooking fires are the number one cause of home fires and home injuries. The leading cause is leaving cooking unattended. Fires can happen very quickly, even if you walk away for just a moment. When cooking, it’s important to stay in the kitchen, and keep anything that can catch fire away from stovetops. Oven mitts, wooden utensil, food packaging, and towels are all prone to be caught on fire, even by a spark. If a stove fire were to inevitably occur, and you are unable to contain the fire with a fire extinguisher, quickly get everyone out of the house, and call 911 or your local emergency number! Don’t forget to take your pets with you, and close the door behind you to help contain the fire.
Use Caution with Fire Extinguishers
Remember the word PASS when using a fire extinguisher:
1. Pull the pin and hold the extinguisher with the nozzle pointing away from you.
2. Aim the nozzle at the base of the fire.
3. Squeeze the lever slowly and evenly.
4. Sweep the nozzle from side to side until the fire has been extinguished.
How to Recover after a Fire
- Wash small wounds with soap and water to help prevent infections. Use bandages and replace them if they become soiled or damaged. If you have suffered from any injuries, have them treated by a medical professional immediately.
- Remain calm and patiently deal with urgent situations first. Take care of yourself and your family. If necessary contact your local disaster relieve service, such as the American Red Cross or Salvation Army for shelter assistance, clothing, medicine, and other important things.
- Check with the fire department to make sure your residence is safe to enter.
- When entering your damaged home, be sure to wear long pants, long-sleeved shirt, closed toed shoes, safety googles, and a hard hat (if necessary) to avoid injuries from falling particles of damaged ceilings and structure.
Contact SERVPRO of Palo Alto when the fire department clears your property and it is safe to enter. Our advanced training enables us to get your property restored quickly and thoroughly. For any emergencies, call us 24/7 for prompt service at 650-800-3448.